BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Some Future Potential


I know that it seems like I've just been dogging on all of the male (and occasionally female) writers and artists in the comic book business, so I wanted to compile a list of some female creators, as well as some males, who have made, and are making a difference when it comes to issues of gender and sexuality.

Craig Thompson - Known for his epic graphic novel "Blankets", Thompson pretty much does straight autobiographical stuff. "Blankets" seriously made me tear up when I first read it. It's a no-hold-barred look at first love from a young male's perspective. Highly recommended.

Becky Cloonan - Cloonan is more of an indie artist, but she occasionally does work for Marvel. I first saw her work on "Demo", which was written by Brian Wood. "Demo" is addicting - it's 12 issues, each one about a different kid. Her portrayals of women are realistic and respectable. I would check out her website, and if you like her work, "Demo" is a great place to jump in.

Brian K. Vaughan - As I mentioned before: go read "Y: The Last Man". Now.

Bill Willingham - "Fables" is one of the best modern comic books out there. Most of the main characters are female, and pretty much run the show. Definitely recommended.

Jeff Smith - His work is pretty much summed up with one word - "Bone". He worked on this title from 1991 to 2004, writing, drawing, lettering, everything. It's one of the best comic books I've ever read.

Sean McKeever - His first work is awesome. It's a series called "The Waiting Place" and it revolves around a group of kids during their last year of high school in a small town dominated by ignorance, tradition, racism, and repetition. I just read this recently and it really resounded with me.

Alison Bechdel - I haven't read her autobiographical graphic novel about coming out to her father, but I've heard great things. It's critically acclaimed, and next on my reading list.

These are just a few of the good writers and artists out there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget about Dave Sim, lol.

David said...

Holy crap no lol.